Contact Us

Carova NC Flood Insurance FAQ’s

Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.

You Can’t Get Flood Insurance On the 4×4 Beaches Right?

That is very much not right. Then there is also the question “FEMA will not insure houses up there, will they?” This is closer but still incorrect. The NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program) does not provide flood insurance to any new houses in the 4WD area. NFIP is the general public, low-cost, simple-to-obtain federal/FEMA flood insurance. There was a time when FEMA provided flood insurance for the “Off Road” beaches (a.k.a. Carova). Then later on they designated to whole area a CBRA Zone (Coastal Barrier Resources Act)

A CBRA zone (pronounced COBRA zone) is an area designated by Congress that prohibits all federal expenditures, including flood insurance, for residential and commercial development in such zones.

When Carova was designated a CBRA zone, FEMA did grandfather in any houses that could document that they were built prior to a certain date. I believe it was October 1st 1983, but I could be off. So there are some houses that are insured through FEMA. You can get flood insurance on the other houses, but you have to go to the private sector. Which can cost you a lot depending on the flood one you are in and how much your house is worth.

There are currently three flood zones in Carova: VEAE, & shaded X. In this scenario “X” is a good thing. It is determined to be outside the 100 year floodplain. If your house is in a shaded X zone then no flood insurance should be required. I say “should” because homeowners insurance is a bank rule, not a government rule, and a bank can still insist on one although I have never heard of it happening. Some lots are not entirely in one zone & it doesn’t have to be, but if even one piling is in a higher risk flood zone, then the whole house is considered in that zone.

AE (jokingly called “Almost Expensive”) is inundated by 100-year flooding, for which BFEs have been determined. BFE stands for “Base Flood Elevation.” If your property is in an AE zone you can hire a surveyor to get an elevation certificate or do a Topographical Survey (TOPO). If this shows that if any of your property is above the Base Flood Elevation, then you can apply to FEMA for a LOMA (Letter Of Map Amendment). Again ALL of the house must be within the LOMA area. So if you’re in an AE zone you can get a TOPO to try and get a LOMA from FEMA. Confused yet?

Then there is VE. Some jokingly say that it stands for “Very Expensive”. VE is inundated by 100-year flooding with velocity hazard, BFEs have been determined. FEMA is not currently giving out LOMAs for VE flood zones. These are mostly the oceanfront and semi-oceanfront lots. I have heard of the flood policies on some of these costing $25,000 a year. But remember, these houses can run well over a million dollars in purchase price.

I hope that this clears things up.